Monday, March 21, 2011

Strength

There are so many things, phrases and places associated with strength. Whether it's a boulder or a mountain, a cliche or a truism, the pyramids or Stonehenge, we naturally associate the word "strong" with something we've encountered in our life that represents strength to us.
When I think of strength, I think of a single mother raising two kids, a family dealing with the tragic and untimely death of a beloved son and brother. I think of my mother, a person who had the strength to break away from a life that is crippling, and make something better for her family. I think of myself, constantly struggling with a debilitating depression, but somehow able to find a smile even when everything is crumbling around me.
I have a background on my phone that says "Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain." But I don't believe that. I believe that strength is the ability to smile in the face of tragedy, the stamina to roll with punches life throws you with a positive attitude, and the courage to move forward in the face of daunting odds.
Someone once told me that the difference between being "impervious" and being "strong" is that when something, or someone, is impervious, they have no need to be strong because nothing ever touches them.
So don't give up. As my dad would say, keep on truckin. :) Smile, be happy, but above all, live your life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment